Wednesday, December 19, 2012

3d printer purchase

From Dave Durant and Chopmeister

I've requested samples from Ultimaker and MakerBot to see the quality first and and feel the texture of the final print.  From my research temperature adjustments and changing the layer height can drastically improve the quality of 3d prints.  The major issue I have is being able to see lines on the print.  The end results should be as smooth as a baby's butt.  I don't want to be sanding down plastic miniture animals at 1 in the morning!

Ultimaker prompty responded and will be sending it to me free of charge.  Makerbot sent me a link to some form looked like it was just made.  Freshly made food is great!  A fresh google document form as a response to a sample request looks like they are trying to make me think they'll send me a sample.  I haven't spent any money yet, but when I do, it would be nice to know whichever 3d print support staff I choose will be there to help if I can't find answers on a forum or on my own.

I did find a blog post with some hard numbers on the layer thickness and a picture of the final 3d print, and the Ultimaker looks superb.  Several photos later I my jaw dropped at the accuracy of the Ultimaker at high speeds.

Here's the post I read.

1 comment:

  1. Shapeways, i.materialise, and ponoko all print in metal. I think ponoko does CNC routing of metal, but I'm not 100% on that.

    ReplyDelete